Monday, September 26, 2005

The Eleventh Commandment

   "Thou shalt not speak ill of another Republican." --Ronald Reagan

   Except today.

   I have spent a great deal of time watching the Senate over the last couple of weeks, specifically concerning the confirmation of Judge John Roberts. I have seen some tactics I liked, and some i loathed, on both sides of the aisle. I had my doubts in January when Senator Arlen Spector was due to become chairman of the Judiciary Committee, but I am now not afraid to acknowledge that I was wrong and that he was the best person for the position at this time. Kudos is also in order to most of the Democrats on the Judiciary Committee for giving Judge Roberts a fair hearing (with the specific exception of Ted Kennedy, who I am certain had decided to vote no long before the nomination was even announced).

   And now I break the 11th Commandment:

   Will someone please silence Jeff Sessions? Every time he speaks, I want to bang my head against the wall. I get the distinct impression that he is the dimmest bulb in the Senate and everytime he speaks people make a negative association with the party. But wait, there's more...

   It seems that he wanted to find a victim of Hurricane Katrina who is subject to the estate tax as an exemplar of the perverse effects of the test. Reasonable people can disagree about the efficacy of the tax (I tend to lean against it), but would someone please shut up this senator who has a complete lack of self-awareness? Senator Sessions, time and again, damages the party.

   And, finally, Sessions rambled repeatedly during the confirmation proceedings, performing a precarious jig on the edge of coherence. His pontifications and softball questions were so simplistic that even Judge Roberts looked uncomfortable during Sessions's time.

   And to think that some people suggest he could be a nominee to the Supreme Court. I hope not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home