Sunday, October 02, 2005

Blogging Malaise

   Things have been a little slow around here for the last couple of days. Part of that can be chalked up to the weekend, since it's been a busy one involving, among others, the small joys of visiting a New England apple orchard on a picture-perfect October day, as well as the larger one of Big Blue knocking Baby Brother down a peg or two. Part of it can be chalked up to a little bit of mental lethargy, as I have not really had the energy to do any serious writing -- or, for that matter, thinking. For someone with a compulsion to be continually engaged with the greater world, maybe it's a good thing. I am notoriously bad at allowing myself to rest, the kind of person who usually grows anxious by about the fourth day of a vacation.

   Mostly, though, I think it has been a visceral reaction to the general tenor taken on last week by a number of my regular reads, as reflective of a number of blogs I sometimes, but don't often, read. I have been trying to put together my general thoughts on the matter for a better part of a week now, but have come no closer than I was at the outset. Maybe I will have something more coherent on this topic in the coming days.

   Stay tuned.

UPDATE (6:53 p.m.): I edited the last sentence of the first paragraph when I saw that I had used two semicolons to join three independent clauses. That's just wrong. It's also indicative of what I would be subjecting everyone else to if I forced myself to update for updating's sake. Ugh.

2 Comments:

Anonymous KS said...

Hmm...you updated your blog because you used two semicolons to join three independent clauses? Can you say anal retentive? How about OCD?

Seriously, you ain't got nothing to worry bout in that there writing department!

2:10 PM  
Blogger Bostonian Exile said...

Can you say anal retentive? How about OCD?

Guilty as charged on both counts, though thankfully only to a manageable degree in most cases.

As to the first question, I blame (credit?) a series of exceptionally demanding composition teachers in high school. (One of them was even known to start deducting points for errors, and if your score went below zero into negative numbers, then so be it.) I was well-prepared once I got to college, but only after numerous receiving essays back that were awash in red ink.

I have a theory that enduring the first year of law school causes a lot of people to develop OCD, but that causation could easily fall the other way.

All the same, thanks.

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home