Thursday, October 27, 2005

The Deathless Prose of Harriet Miers

   In the final act of her nomination to the Supreme Court, Harriet Miers demonstrated in a concrete way just how unqualified for the position she really was. Her letter to President Bush stating her withdrawal - a mere four paragraphs - was awash with grammatical and stylistic errors. It leads one to wonder what a substantial Miers opinion would have looked like, and what a mess it would have created for those of us expected to decipher such things.

   I have made some fairly basic corrections below, though there were some things that I could not even touch without materially altering the meaning of the letter.

Dear Mr. President:

I write to withdraw as a nominee to serve as an Associate Justice on to the Supreme Court of the United States. I have been greatly honored and humbled by the confidence that you have shown in me, and have appreciated immensely your support and the support of many others. However, I am concerned that the confirmation process presents a burden for the White House and our its staff that is not in the best interest of the country.

As you know, members of the Senate have indicated their intentions to seek documents about my service in the White House in order to judge whether to support me. I have been informed repeatedly that in lieu of records, I would be expected to testify about my service in the White House to demonstrate my experience and judicial philosophy. While I believe that my lengthy career provides sufficient evidence for consideration of my nomination, I am convinced the efforts to obtain Executive Branch materials and information will would continue.

As I stated in my acceptance remarks in the Oval Office, the strength and independence of our three branches of government are critical to the continued success of this great Nation. Repeatedly in the course of the process of confirmation during the confirmation process for nominees for to other positions, I have steadfastly maintained that in order for the independence of the Executive Branch to be preserved, and its confidential documents and information must not be released to further a confirmation process. I feel compelled to adhere to this position, especially related to my own nomination. Protection The protection of the prerogatives of the Executive Branch's prerogatives and the continued pursuit of my confirmation are in tension;. I have decided that seeking my confirmation should yield.

I share your commitment to appointing judges with a conservative judicial philosophy, and I look forward to continuing to support your efforts to provide the American people with judges who will interpret the law, not make it. I am most grateful for having had the opportunity to have served serve your Administration and this country.

Most respectfully,

Harriet Ellan Miers

Consider this "Exhibit A" of my argument that her nomination was never intended to proceed. Stay tuned.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

You mentioned before that you thought that the nomination might have not been intended to be successful. Please explain.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Bostonian Exile said...

Look for it sometime this weekend

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home