Tuesday, October 04, 2005

This Year's Must-Have

The Complete Calvin and Hobbes

The childish exuberance, the adult cynicism, the gorgeous colors in the Sunday panels. Hyper-literate third graders read it, overweight taxi drivers in El Paso read it, terminally hip people wearing black in Manhattan read it.

I was one of those hyper-literate third graders. A small part of me envied Calvin for his imagination and his unbridled will. He was fully child and fully adult, proving that arguably the funniest strip could also be the smartest as it provided insight to the world, as it is and as the child might see it.

I remember when Bill Watterson, the strip's creator, took a nearly year-long sabbatical in about 1990. I all but counted the days until the production of new material would resume. I guess it prepared me well for the eighteen-month wait between seasons of "The Sopranos".

I can't believe it has been ten years since the strip ended. I'm just glad they did not wait ten more to release this collection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home