Thursday, November 17, 2005

Coming Next Week: A Respite from the Exile

   I am heading home next Tuesday to celebrate Thanksgiving with my family in Michigan and, for the first time since moving here, The Lady Exile and I are driving the 700 mile route.

   Two countries, three states, twelve hours.

   In planning for this trip, I've learned a lot along the way.

  • Canada allows each person to bring up to 8.5 liters of beer into the country duty free. We should be able to take some local refreshments home without incident. That is, we will as long as we remember our reciept proving we bought said refreshments in Boston.


  • In order to take a rental car into Canada, you have to have special paperwork from the rental company.


  • Unlike when I left Detroit, Americans are now supposed to carry copies of their birth certificates in addition to driver licences in order to get into Canada. (Now, I just need to find mine.)


  • If we leave immediately after work, we can be in Detroit in time to greet our parents when they wake up.


  • I get a sweet discount on the rental with my ABA membership.


  • Gas prices have dropped substantially recently. (When you don't own -- or even usually need -- a car, you don't follow gas prices as closely as you used to.)


   We arrive in Michigan on Wednesday morning, enjoy a few days at home, and start the return trip on Saturday. My parents fly into town Saturday; we arrive Sunday morning; and I get sworn in on Monday.

   Suffice to say, blogging will be light starting next Tuesday through the weekend.

6 Comments:

Blogger Midwestern Progressive said...

Two things:

1. Have a very Happy Thanksgiving! (And drive carefully.)

2. Congrats again on getting sworn in as a member of the bar.

Warmest regards.

10:22 PM  
Blogger phoey. said...

Drive safely!!!

10:51 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

If you have a passport, take it along. That's the best source of ID you can own when traveling.

Have a good holiday and enjoy the time you get to spend with your family.

5:30 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

Happy Thanksgiving. I, too, moved from Michigan to Boston and have made the drive a few times. We used to do it with little children overnight, so that they slept.

Drive carefully...and I would bring Canadian beer to the US rather than Boston beer to Michigan (and I am talking about REAL Canadian beer, not the exported stuff).

Kathy is 100% right about bringing a passport.

12:12 AM  
Blogger Bostonian Exile said...

Thanks all for the advice.

It seems that the passport is out of the question (for now). Mine expired five years ago and, being at the time a poor student with no designs on returning to Europe before getting out of school, renewing it was not a top priority.

As for the Canadian beer, a good idea, but I don't think we'll get much milage out of *1* duty-free bottle per person coming back into the States. Besides, given that most of my family rarely ventures away from Bud/Bud Light/Coors Light, I'd rather have a chance to sample the Canadian suds before introducing my family to them.

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Libby said...

Safe trip and Happy Holidays. I'll be thinking of you on the Monday.

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home