Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Literary Crushes?

Tinkerty Tonk points us to this piece at Salon, which asked prominient talking heads and others which book had been most influential to them.

For me, I think it was Locke's Second Treatise on Government, closely followed by Montesquieu's Spirit of the Laws. These two books were among those that influenced the Framers' view of how government should function, and they were influential to my understanding of politics, laying the groundwork for my own political beliefs. I remember that I absolutely devoured them in college, something that did not often happen given how dry most political theory and academic history writing is.

Now, dear readers, I ask you: Which book has had the most influence on you, and why? Feel free to respond in comments, either in full or with a link to your own blog.

4 Comments:

Anonymous e. said...

This is going to sound so lame, but "Hope for the Flowers" by Trina Paulus has inspired me beyond belief. Not just because it works on so many levels and speaks to so many of the issues in our society on an allegorical level, but because it is an inherently good story than someone of any age can appreciate.

On a personal aside, thank you for your kind words and support. It means a lot.
:)

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Cardinal Martini said...

The two books that influenced my politics the most are the same as David Brooks' (I swear I was going to choose them before I read his blurb):
"David Brooks, columnist, the New York Times
This is going to sound awfully pompous (but hey, I went to the University of Chicago), but the two most important books I read in college were Burke's Reflections on the Revolution in France and Hobbes' Leviathan. I loathed both books at first reading, but they both explained how little we can rationally know about the world around us and how much we have to rely on habits, traditions, and intuition. I've been exemplifying our ignorance on a daily basis ever since."

My favorite book is "The Great Gatsby". I'm sure it's influenced me in some way, I just don't know how exactly.

12:00 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

My favorite book is "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee. The themes of prejudice and innocence lost touched a nerve for some reason, possibly because I grew up in Detroit and witnessed the unreasonable sterotypes people projected onto others.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

One of the most important things a child needs to learn is an appreciation for books. A book doesn't need to be a classic, or even particularly good, to impact a life. These are some of my favorites

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home