Thursday, December 15, 2005

Bush, McCain agree on torture ban

   It seems that the White House and the Senator from Arizona have finally come to an agreement on McCain's torture ban. I have not been able to find a copy of the compromise text, so I'm reserving judgment in light of the concerns I raised last week. I just hope we have done enough.

   Nevertheless, I think that Howie at The Jawa Report probably has the right idea:

I’ve never been more proud of Mr. Bush or Mr. McCain. John McCain for sticking with it and Mr. Bush for proving he is a reasonable man. Look out for the “me too” on the left. But no this is Moderate and Conservative Republicans working together and coming to an agreement. Also notice the forward looking let’s solve a problem attitude. Rather than stomp on America these men got together and worked out a good solid compromise. So if the left hopes to cut the moderates from the Republican herd I say to them, “Fat Chance”!


If he runs, I can see myself backing John McCain for president (especially compared to the rest of the apparent field this early and his campaign finance position notwithstanding). As badly as Bush needed this deal, McCain needed it, too, if he was to have any hope of laying the foundation to draw votes from the hard-liners in the party during primary season.

   I can see it now: Moderates turn out to vote for McCain; Conservatives turn out (if nothing else) to vote against Hillary (or someone to her left).

   I can dream, can't I?

   Here's hoping we see more cooperation like this over the next few years.

1 Comments:

Blogger Subcomandante Bob said...

National Nitwit has more on President Bush's decision on torture.

National Nitwit - at least 50% truthful, or Bill Gates' money back.

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home