Monday, December 19, 2005

Follow-up on FISA

Following up on my previous post on the NSA and FISA, two quick points:

First, I have actually had a chance to sit down and start reading the statute. I won't go into significant details here about my impressions; I don't have the energy for an epic-length post at the moment. That said, on my first time through, I could not envision how the secret order squared with FISA. On my second pass, though, it looks as though Congress and President Carter apparently did not envision something along the lines of what the NSA has apparently done, and therefore made no provisions -- affirmative or negative -- for such a situation. I may yet will probably almost certainly change my mind again on the third pass, since this is far from the clearest law in the world to even begin to fully comprehend. In any event, don't expect anything resembling a fuller opinion until tomorrow at the earliest.

Second, things seem to have gotten heated in comments to my previous post -- and understandably so. No matter where you stand, this NSA issue has very real implications for our security and our freedom. That said, let's be clear about something: I have always made it a point of pride to be straightforward here at The Exile. While I sometimes engage in hypothetical for the sake of discussion, it has never been my intent to obfuscate anything discussed here for the benefit of any ideology or any other person. Accordingly, I will never express an opinion here without having satisfied myself that I have given it adequate and due consideration, regardless of what the conventional wisdom about the holding of a particular opinion might be, and regardless of whether it is positive or negative. I may not always be right (Hell, I'm human, after all), but I'll never be anything less than sincere. And, I'll be damned if I am going to allow anyone to pressure me into taking a position prematurely. I didn't get this far (and, indeed, I will get no further) by simply going along.

I don't intend to start now.

If you want considered thoughts from a conservative-leaning perspective, I hope you have come to the right place, and of course opposing viewpoints are always welcome. If you're expecting to find the party line, a parrot of partisan mega-blogs, or a wingnut to bait, well . . . I suspect you can find one without looking too hard.

2 Comments:

Blogger expatbrian said...

Amen, well said.

4:08 AM  
Anonymous Libby said...

Well if this is directed at my latest crankiness, you do remember that everything I say is to be taken in the kindest, non-snarky way possible?

I wasn't implying that and I hope you didn't take my comments as having done so.

I'm impatient in my old age yes, but not judgmental, no matter how my words may come across sometimes.

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home