Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Wednesday Food-blogging

Look for light posting (if any) until this afternoon as I struggle to escape the food coma I entered last night.

Last night, I made Sun-dried Tomato Burgers with Balsamic-Glazed Onions and Home Fries with Wild Mushrooms.

I was a little leery of making hamburger patties with cumin, but the spice added a subtle, but readily apparent base for the rest of the flavor. Also, I strongly recommend using the best balsamic vinegar you have for the onions -- they come out tasting like candy. (Most high-end balsamics are very expensive, because of an importing consortium that controls the majority of the market. If you live near an ethnic Italian neighborhood, you may be able to find a shop that imports Modena balsamic from outside of the consortium -- at about a quarter of the cost!) Top with an extra sharp Wisconsin white cheddar just before serving and your all set.

When I sauteed the potatoes, I added two big cloves of garlic, finely minced. I also used portobellos instead of shiitakes and oysters, and the flavor was probably less woody, but it took on the flavor of the garlic very well. A dash of garlic powder at the end made for some potent potatoes, but that nicely balanced the sweetness of the burgers.

Serve with Harpoon I.P.A. If you can't get it (meaning: if you live just about anywhere outside of Rt. 128), another hoppy beer goes nicely. (Or, you could beg your local beer distributor to carry it -- we found a place near Detroit last year that stocks Boston's finest micro-brew!)

At Bartley's in Cambridge, this easily would have been a nine dollar burger. But Mr. Bartley has nothing on me. Not after this.

3 Comments:

Blogger Midwestern Progressive said...

Yowza, those look like fine burgers. I guess it is warm enough to grill this time of year, out there. I'd need the temperature to be over freezing before I'm willing to stand out on the patio and grill. Though it looks like the weather will be warmer here over the weekend....

(The link to the potato recipe points back to the burgers...)

10:20 AM  
Blogger Bostonian Exile said...

The link to the potatoes should now work.

It is nowhere near warm enough to grill here, not in the traditional sense anyway.

If you want to grill in the city (or during inclement weather), a grill pan becomes a worthwhile investment.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Wusses! Real men grill no matter how cold it gets outside!

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home