Thursday, March 02, 2006

An Open Letter to the President

President George W. Bush
1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr. President:

I quit.

While history may yet bear you out in Iraq and Afghanistan, I am left without any remaining confidence in your ability to adminster the domestic affairs of this great nation. This is a failure on your part in both substance and style. Your administration, to this country's detriment, has spent money like the largest band of drunken sailors this world has ever known. The only skill your executive personnel decisions have demonstrated is that of hiring people capable of making losing arguments in support of even winning policy choices.

But for your two confirmed Supreme Court nominees, both of whom I supported, this term would be an unmitigated disaster. This description is particularly apt in light of today's news of your pre-Katrina briefings.

This administration has had a fundamental failure to admit its shortcomings. Fortress Bush has stonewalled on every issue, from those as significant as Katrina to those as inconsequential as your vice president's hunting accident. Somewhere along the way, the adminstration lost all credibility, not just with its adversaries, but also with all but its blindest supporters.

As I noted, your administration has exhibited failures of style and substance. Even if your remaining supporters are correct and you never foresaw the levee breaches (but only their potential overtopping) and this really is all old news, that will make little difference to the people affected by the storm. But, if the accusations are substantially correct and you did know the extent of the impending destruction, then you really have supplanted Richard Nixon as the worst modern president. Incompetence resulting in the deaths of civilians that might otherwise have been prevented in some cases might not amount to an impeachable offense, but it may well add up to a damnable one.

What is more, if this AP report really is trumped up, then you have to do better than, "Don't read too much into a single briefing." That you have not cleaned house in the Office of the White House Press Secretary only speaks to your blind loyalty to your personnel and your tin ear to what the country hears your administration saying.

As a result, I'm out. While my arguments may parallel your policies from time to time in the future, I can't say that I approve of the job you are doing as president. The execution of things you have done right has been mostly poor and the articulations of your administration's rationales have been worse.

This is not a decision I take lightly. Indeed, I have wrestled with it for the last six months or so. This deliberative process has led me at times to question whether I was abandoning my principles. In fact, you have abandoned them. It led me to wonder whether I would leave my party, when it was you who have in many respects failed in its leadership.

I voted for you. Twice. And yet, I have no qualms about saying that your lame duck period, in my eyes, begins today. Please, just sit tight for the next three years.

Here's hoping Senator McCain can do a better job in the White House after 2008. Please try not to burn the place down before then.

Sincerely,

The Bostonian Exile

7 Comments:

Blogger Midwestern Progressive said...

Wow.

Welcome back, Mr. Exile.

This deliberative process has led me at times to question whether I was abandoning my principles. In fact, you have abandoned them.

One of the most astute observations I've seen made by a conservative in some time.

I'm confident I'm not alone is saying that I'm glad you're back.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Bostonian Exile said...

One of the most astute observations I've seen made by a conservative in some time.

I should hope that - of all people - you would think so; it's an argument you have been making for months. :-)

Thanks for the welcome back.

6:10 PM  
Blogger His Honor the Mayor said...

DAMN.

Welcome back, B.E.

11:30 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Welcome back, Exile.

I may lean left, but you're letter doesn't make me happy. It is our country - and people of all political persuasions - that lose when we have such a president.

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Cardinal Martini said...

Wow.

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Libby said...

Whoa Nellie. Maybe no one besides the lovely Lady E knows better than me how difficult it must have been for you to compose that post. It makes me sad that you had to write it, but it gives me hope for the future of our republic.

Just Wow.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Left of Center said...

Well said. True conservitives should heed your words.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home