Thursday, April 06, 2006

Libby: Bush OK'ed Leak

The Boston Globe is reporting that Scooter Libby testified that his leak of sensitive information was authorized by President Bush.


When I first saw the headline, I thought that this was it: game, set, match, and the Dems finally just might have their impeachable offense.  And then I saw this buried in the last paragraph of the piece:



"Defendant testified that the circumstances of his conversation with reporter Miller -- getting approval from the president through the vice president to discuss material that would be classified but for that approval -- were unique in his recollection," the papers added.



[Emphasis mine]  This muddies the waters, no doubt.  Politically damaging?  Yes, and in all likelihood, to a breathtaking degree.  A crime?  I'm still too medicated to get into that, but I doubt I'd make much headway even with a fully clear head.


About all I'll venture at this point is that no one -- not a soul -- will be happy with the final outcome of this revelation.  It sort of reaffirms my decision of a while back.


MORE:  Then again, this could be much ado about nothing (since there is no indication that the leak of Plame's identity was authorized) and I could have been fooled by the huge headline at boston.com.  If so, blame the meds.


Tags: , , , , , ,


4 Comments:

Blogger copy editor said...

This is a heckuva time for Libby to flair back up in the press. Bush's numbers are already at rock bottom prices. Huh.

I guess we all were speculating that it went to the top two consuls.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

The fact that you could blog with a head cold is amazing. Youth is wonderful!

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Libby said...

Not illegal, not an impeachable offense maybe, but certainly a betrayal of the public trust. Surely you can see it was a selective leak, done for political reasons.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Bostonian Exile said...

Not illegal, not an impeachable offense maybe, but certainly a betrayal of the public trust. Surely you can see it was a selective leak, done for political reasons.

In my defense: At the time I wrote this, I couldn't see much beyond the medication-induced haze I was in and the suggestions of selective leaking had not yet surfaced.

Also, my point at the time was about the press conflating these two distinct, if related, charges: 1) the administration attempted to discredit Joe Wilson, and 2) the administration revealed Valarie Plame's identity. Even if I agree with your characterization (and I'm not saying that I disagree) of the first, this story splashed as if it were the (more serious) second charge.

The press had a good story here and still managed to oversell it.

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home