Monday, April 17, 2006

A little shameless self-promotion

I have a new job!


This is the exciting news I alluded to on Friday.  Two weeks from today, I will be joining a Boston litigation firm as an associate.  The firm specializes in products liability and medical malpractice, the latter of which I find particularly interesting.  I am very excited because 1) the job is permanent, and 2) it sounds like I will be getting into court sooner rather than later.


How I landed the job is a bit of a story unto itself and requires a bit of background.  This story is about two law firms and three brothers, who I will call "One," "Two," and "Three," ordered by age from eldest to youngest.  (Anonymity is necessary for the moment, so please bear with me.)  One owns a firm where I formerly worked.  Two is a partner in the new firm.  Three is a member of the firm where I formerly worked.


Last Thursday, I went to a pub downtown for a bon voyage party for a former co-worker who is moving to Washington.  About 20 minutes into the party, Three showed up to make an appearance (and bought a round for the party).  We exchanged pleasantries, seeing one another for the first time in about a year.  I casually mentioned that I had met Two a few weeks prior when I interviewed at the new firm.  (Despite being near the end of the interview process, I had heard nothing either way and believed that the position had gone to someone else.)  Three asked why I didn't call him, because he and Two are very close and talk several times a day.  (It had never occurred to me to call Three because most of my work in the old firm had been for other attorneys.)  Three said that he thought the position was still open and excused himself to CALL HIS BROTHER.  I was a little stunned at that moment about how quickly things were suddenly moving.


Three returned about five minutes later and said that he had left a voicemail for his brother and that I should call him the next day: a decision would be waiting.


At about noon the next day, I received a phone call from the Hiring Partner at Two's firm, offering me the job.  I. Was. Stunned.  Good salary (not six digits as Libby guessed, but certainly enough to cover bills, beer, and other essentials, putting to an end my days of living like a grad student :) ), good benefits package.  It was all moving so quickly, but I was flying.  I stammered a request to think about it over the weekend, promising to call Monday.  The Hiring Partner agreed.


I was almost immediately certain that I would take the job, but I did want to ensure that everything was covered on my end and that I had not forgotten any details.  I only had a few minor questions today when we spoke and I accepted the offer about an hour ago.


So, I made it.  After months of searching for my first job while strapped to an emotional roller coaster, I'm finally setting out to do what I want to do.  It's been one hell of a ride, and I could not have done it (not with my sanity intact, anyway) without Lady E, who has been flying high with me all weekend. 


Also, thank you to all of you who have offered words of encouragement over the last year or so.  In the last year, I've learned a lot about perseverance, tenacity, humility, self-assurance and self-doubt, about myself. . . .  I could continue the list, but I'm sure I would never fully complete it.  All the same, whatever your role, thanks for joining me on that journey.  I can't wait to start this next one.


And to think that I almost didn't want to go to the bar on Thursday.  I won't fall into that trap again.  Heh...


7 Comments:

Blogger His Honor the Mayor said...

Congrats! Its good to your hard work has paid off.

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Libby said...

Oh congrats. Do I win a prize or am I disqualified for being overly optimistic about the salary?

And let this be a lesson to you, never turn down a chance to go to the bar.

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Andrew Winthrop Cunningham III said...

Congratulations! That's really great news =)

2:17 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

What a banner year! A pending marriage AND a new job. Congratulations!

2:23 PM  
Blogger Midwestern Progressive said...

Well done Exile!

Congrats to you.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Bostonian Exile said...

Thanks to all!

Do I win a prize or am I disqualified for being overly optimistic about the salary?

Tell you what, Libby: next time you're in town, lunch is on me.

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Libby said...

LOL. Safe choice since it looks like it's going to be a long time before I get to your town.

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home