Tuesday, April 18, 2006

What is the matter with people???

Yesterday, I was taking the train home from work.  Because it was Patriots Day, many of the businesses downtown were closed, but the crowding on the train was far above that of a typical afternoon rush as runners and spectators from the Boston Marathon made their way back to homes and hotels.


Some of these runners, clad in foil ponchos to preserve body heat, looked like they were about to die, while others looked remarkably well for having run farther in a couple of hours than I have in any given year.


A few of these runners were on my train and held onto the handrails to remain standing.  Meanwhile, students and young professionals throughout the car took no notice and none offered a seat to the four runners standing within an arms length from me.


WTF?


It's bad enough that every day, seats are denied to the elderly, the expecting, and the disabled.  But the one day out of the year when 20,000 people visit your city for the privilege of running 26.2 miles, do you think you could fold over that vacuous "Us Magazine" you're reading, use your free hand to hold the handrail, and give up your seat?


Thank you.


Tags: , , , ,


5 Comments:

Anonymous Andrew Winthrop Cunningham III said...

Wow. I completely agree. Once when Jeeves was washing the car, I took the bus someplace and offered my seat to an elderly woman. What has happened to people's sense of etiquette in society?

5:20 PM  
Blogger His Honor the Mayor said...

I had a similar experience this past weekend. After the Tiger game, my kids and I got onto the People Mover (gotta love that name) to get back to our car in GreekTown. The train was pretty full, and there were no seats left. I don't have the slightest problem with standing, but my kids were having trouble balancing during stops and starts. None of the teens or young adults nearby offered my kids a seat, even though (in spite of my best efforts to catch her), my daughter nearly tumbled into one of their laps.
People suck.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Bostonian Exile said...

The train was pretty full, and there were no seats left.

Surely, you jest! On the People Mover?

(For those not from Detroit, or who have never been there, let's just say that the Motor City has mass transit in only the most technical sense. The People Mover is not merely a monorail over a very small circuit of downtown Detroit, it is its own punchline.)

6:12 PM  
Blogger Midwestern Progressive said...

What is the matter with people?

The truth is, I suspect you'll see that a *lot* in the future. I ride public transportation into downtown Chicago every day, and I've actually seen people get very offended at (get this) people in wheelchairs because those comfy people riding on wheels actually expect to park their chairs in special seats reserved for them. The most recetn time was Monday morning. (For the record, I prefer to stand in the vestibule, by myself, listening to my I-Pod, rather than share the cattle cars with others. Frankly, I'm a freaky germ-a-phobe. But hey, I'm comfortable with that.)

As for the marathoners - eh. I've run three myself, and I would not have expected anyone to give up their seat for me afterwards. I had just run 26+ miles - I think I can spare the extra calories while standing until my stop. That just me, though...

8:40 PM  
Blogger Bostonian Exile said...

As for the marathoners - eh. I've run three myself, and I would not have expected anyone to give up their seat for me afterwards. I had just run 26+ miles - I think I can spare the extra calories while standing until my stop. That just me, though...

I did sort of wonder about that, actually (right about the time that the train operator turned on the air conditioning for the runners who were apparently trying to conserve body heat in the 55-ish degree weather). All the same, is it too much to put the offer out there, at least?

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home